Sunday 2 September 2007

Alexia

FU interviewed model Alexia who told us how carrying your camera with you on girly nights out can help you with your photoshoots.


How long have you been modelling for?
I’m a baby to this industry! I’ve been modelling for 4 months now and loving every minute of it

Who/What made you want to model?
I think secretly I’ve always wanted to be a model, but I’ve always had doubts about whether or not I could do it. Firstly I’m only 5’6 so I’m just below the standard height for a model which I thought would cause a lot of problems, but It didn’t so I’m glad I started. I was approached on Myspace by an agency who asked me to do a test shoot for them and I haven’t looked back since!


Have you always been one of those people who just loves to be in front of the camera (or mirror) posing?
Definitely! I’m the ultimate poser among my friends! I take a camera with me absolutely every time I go for nights out, which strengthens my poses when I do a real shoot.


What’s the best job you’ve been on?
The Kojo’s Angel’s calendar! Firstly because it’s for an amazing charity called the African Caribbean Leukaemia Trust who aims to increase the number of Black and mixed race people on the UK bone marrow register. Secondly because I worked with a lovely young comedian called Babatunde who made the shoot really fun.

What’s the worst modelling experience you’ve had?
To be honest I’ve been really lucky with bad experiences. I suppose I could say a fashion show I did which required me to wear lingerie. I had to walk down the runway with my bum cheeks out!


What is it like on set/shoots, there’s a lot of girls, is there any bitchiness?
I love the buzz on a photo shoot! It’s exciting watching the other girls working. But yes there is bitching but to be honest there is always going to be bitching around a group of girls. I think if you carry yourself well and go and do the job you’re required to do then no one can fault you.


What do you do when you’re not modelling?
When I’m not modelling I’m a student studying English and Creative Writing at University. My education is extremely important to me so I make sure I’ve always got space in my schedule to balance my time between the two.


Who is your favourite model, do you aspire to be like any model in particular?
Tyra Banks. She’s a good role model to young black women and she always holds herself extremely well.


What your best feature?
Probably my abs- I’m lucky enough to have a really flat tummy!


What type of modelling would you never do?
Anything explicitly crude.


Obviously models have to have a tight body, what do you do to keep in shape?
I’ve pretty much danced my whole life so I think I shaped my body from an active childhood rather than hitting the gym. I just make sure I eat healthily, follow a good skin care regime and exercise regularly.

Most people think that being a model is an easy job, they don’t realize that it’s a lot of hard work and new models face a lot of criticism and rejection are you ready for that?
I’m very confident in my craft so can take almost all that’s thrown at me! I think you just need to remember that just because you weren’t right for one job doesn’t mean you’re not right for another. Rejection is always going to be there, its how you deal with it that counts.


There’s loads of girls who want to be the next top model how do you stand out, obviously your Fabulous and Undiscovered but what makes you so different?
My work ethic! I put 100% into anything I do. I think with determination and hard work you can get to anywhere you want to.

Who would you like to work with in the future?
I’d love to do an urban campaign such as Baby Phat or Roca Wear. I’d also like to move into television work and do some presenting.


What’s next for you?
Well I’ve got the launch of the Kojo’s Angels calendar and I’m doing my music first video next month so all exciting stuff.


For more info on Alexia go to:

No comments: