Sunday 2 September 2007

Deja

FU interviewed new model Deja who told us about her Lynx advert and her plans on going to America to persue her modelling.


How long have you been modelling for?
Well I’d say a couple of months..I'm a newbie :)


Who/What made you want to model?
I think what made me want to model was the fact that it had always been a secret aspiration, that I decided yes this is something that I really want to do with my life.


Have you always been one of those people who just loves to be in front of the camera (or mirror) posing?
I’m always taking pictures of myself with my phone, but when I am in front of the camera (bearing in mind I’m shooting with a photographer I feel comfortable with) I tend to have a lot of positive energy so I guess I’d say I do love it!


What’s the best job you’ve been on?
I'd say the lynx online ad, though its very recent so its still up in the air but it was a reaction ad- though I was shocked by the scene I was involved in it was great fun!! and I would do it again.


What’s the worst modelling experience you’ve had?
I'd say a photographer indiscretely making suggestions to me !! argh lol


What is it like on set/shoots, there’s a lot of girls, is there any bitchiness?
I'd say it can be quite bitchy particularly if every female is vying for the limelight for example at music video shoots or if they see anyone who seems to be competition to them. But I’m not really bothered by that as at the end of the day I know that modelling is my dream therefore if I let those things get to me then it would take me away from my goal of establishing myself as a model.


What do you do when you’re not modelling?
At the moment I’m taking a year out from my studies which have been geared towards media and television otherwise I’m usually taking care of my son who I absolutely adore :)

Who is your favourite model, do you aspire to be like any model in particular?
I'd say Naomi Campbell.. and not because we both have the same name ;) but setting aside all the negative media she’s had. Naomi to me is a very grounded, strong and determined individual. Not only beautiful in her own right but is a successful black supermodel.


What’s your best feature?
I'd say my eyes.


What type of modelling would you never do?
Anything involving nudity.


Obviously models have to have a tight body, what do you do to keep in shape?
Well nothing really if I’m being honest.. maybe running up and down after my son- does that count.. :) or sit ups I was doing between 50-100 a day but I’ve not seen much of a change but truthfully I do actually walk quite a bit. But when I become more strict with myself I intend to go to the gym.

Most people think that being a model is an easy job, they don’t realize that it’s a lot of hard work and new models face a lot of criticism and rejection are you ready for that?
Bring it on... no seriously yes I believe I am ready and could handle rejection well because with an industry that is so big and trends that are for ever changing you have to be open to the idea that not every time you will be what people are looking for. With that it doesn't mean to say that an opportunity might not come knocking on your door all the same.

There’s loads of girls who want to be the next top model how do you stand out?
Well I’d say because I’m a very down to earth, honest and determined individual. not only that but being 5ft 5 its a lot harder to get jobs in the modelling industry as some areas seem to be determined by height. so it makes me want to give my up most best just knowing that I have to work 10 times harder.


Who would you like to work with in the future?
I’d like to work with up and coming UK urban designers as I feel we should support our own more. Otherwise I’d love to be the face of a product or be featured in a respectable magazine.


What’s next for you?
Hopefully, I would like to go to America next year sometime and see how I go out there- test the waters.. so watch this space!!


For more info on Deja go to:


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was a great interview and you really sound like you are speaking from the heart. I hope you make it as far into this tough industry as possible, you deserve it.